Tummy Tuck Recovery Guide
From your first step of contacting Houston’s premier plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Lyos at Lyos Plastic Surgery and Dermatology Associates through pre-surgery preparations, your goal of having a flat, firm tummy is almost here! Then, you will only have one stage left: recovery. Below are some insight, tips, and tricks on what to expect during that final step.
Preparing to Recover
At Lyos Plastic Surgery and Dermatology Associates, we are devoted to ensuring your best possible health outcomes and your safest, quickest return to your usual routine, and although every patient is different, most patients generally need up to two weeks to recover from a tummy tuck. If you need a doctor’s note about not going back to work during the recovery time period, we have you covered! There are a few other things for your tummy tuck recovery you will need to prepare in advance. They include:
- Someone to drive you home from the procedure and help you at home for the first 24 to 48 hours
- Ice packs
- Easy to put on and take off, loose clothing
- A bathroom chair and/or hand-held shower head
We also recommend stocking up on materials to keep you engaged and easily at hand while you’re resting, as well as easy-to-reach chargers, cables, batteries, books, remotes etc.
The Recovery Itself
Although during the first days of your recovery, you may experience tenderness and soreness in your abdomen, Dr, Lyos will give you pain medication to help minimize any discomfort. He also will put a compression garment over abdomen to reduce swelling and support your healing. He will insert drains that similarly encourage rapid healing and, along with the bandages at the site, need to be checked a few times every day. (Don’t worry, we will give you instructions!) During recovery you may see some side effects such as bruising, swelling, and redness; these will go away as your body gets used to its new shape.
Your Timeline For a Tummy Tuck Recovery
Although your tummy tuck recovery time will be unique to you, they do often follow a similar pattern. An average recovery timeline for our patients looks like this:
- First 24 to 48 hours: You can and should move around in a limited capacity. You begin resting and healing.
- One week after the tummy tuck: Follow-up visit with Dr. Lyos to check on your healing and remove your drains. You have been healing, resting, and moving more.
- Two weeks after the tummy tuck: Back to your normal schedule.
- Four to six weeks after the tummy tuck: You return to strenuous exercise and heavy lifting again – once given the go-ahead from Dr. Lyos.
- Six months after the tummy tuck: Everything has settled; you can see the final results – a firm, flat, sculpted abdomen. Goal accomplished!
Why Should You Choose Dr. Lyos For Your Tummy Tuck in Houston?
As a triple board-certified plastic surgeon with over two decades of experience, Dr. Lyos and Lyos Plastic Surgery and Dermatology Associates are dedicated to delivering results that exceed your wellness goals. We are here to support you from your first call to your final check-ins. Call today!